“The Easiest Method To Swap In A Larger Hdd And Transfer Data, No Hex Editing, No Xplorer360”
By Spegs12 @ X-S (slightly modified by me) Original post
Homebrew consoles only
1. With the original HDD in your console, sign out of your profile and launch XeXMenu via DVD
(Make sure you are not signed into a profile, press B when asked to sign in)
2. Obtain FTP access to your console.
3. Transfer Hdd1 and HddX to your PC.
4. Replace the original HDD with the new larger one.
5. Format the new drive from the dashboard, and rename it if you wish.
6. Download hdd_compat_partition_fixer_v1 (from the usual places) aka xbins
xbins\XBOX360\HDD Tools\HDD Compat Fixer
and put it on a USB stick
7. Launch XeXMenu again, and run hdd_compat_partition_fixer_v1 (default.xex)
8. Reboot console
9. FTP the contents of Hdd1 and HddX over to your newly installed HDD.
(delete name.txt from your back up first)
Note: You may have to run the avatar update after doing this. (I had to)
Reinstall avatars by downloading the Fall 09 update from Microsoft…
This update will have no ill effect on a console running XBReboot.
Just extract the folder and put it on a USB stick, the update will automatically start when you place it in you console.
I used this method to transfer from a 120GB MS drive to a 2TB 3.5″ HDD (Samsung HD203WI 2TB Spinpoint F3 EcoGreen)
I got 18 errors while transferring from the old drive, such as this…
Could not retrieve directory listing
"\Hdd1\Content\0000000000000000\4D5308880000001\": Path not found.
I was using WinSCP, but it turns out it did actually copy those folders. Errors possibly due to folders being empty
So I think it’s safe to choose “skip all” the first time you see this error.
I didn’t have any errors when restoring to the new drive.
With these slight changes to Spegs12’s guide, you shouldn’t have to get involved while making the backup, due to being asked what to do about overwriting files, i.e. XeXMenu’s files if you had it installed on the HDD, and name.txt, you can walk away and let it get on with it.
My backup (105GB) took around 2hrs, and 2.5hrs to restore.
I’m thinking this could probably have been done via SATA rather than FTP by using Xbox 360 Commander