A California man charged with violating the DMCA by installing mod chips in Xbox 360 consoles won’t be allowed to claim “fair use” at his scheduled jury trial next week, a federal judge ruled Tuesday — a decision potentially devastating to the defense, and not particularly favorable to anyone who thinks they have the right to tinker with hardware that they’ve bought and paid for.
Matthew Crippen, 28, faces three years in prison on two allegations of violating the anti-circumvention provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act for financial gain. Crippen, who’s from Anaheim, allegedly had a business modding Xbox 360s for between $60 and $80 a pop, allowing the consoles to run pirated games or unapproved homebrew software. He was indicted after allegedly performing the silicon surgery for an undercover corporate security investigator with the Entertainment Software Association, then again for an undercover federal agent.
His trial is set to begin on November 30 in Los Angeles, and would be the first federal criminal prosecution for console-modding to reach a jury.
Full story @ wired.com/threatlevel
SoulHeaven of Librasoft and the Logic-Sunrise forums, introduces a new AP2.5 bypass for 360’s with dash version 12611
This means that consoles updated with 12611 that have Liteon or Benq drives which currently do not read the games like Fable III because of the new AP2.5 checks, are now able to read them.
This hack requires the use of the x360SED v1.0 chip created by SoulHeaven and will be sold within a few days exclusively on Logic-Sunrise and Librasoft Store.
The principle is simple:
– Install the x360SED chip between the 360 mainboard and the DVD drive, solder the one wire from the x360SED to the consoles sync button
– Install Fable III on your console’s hard drive (From an original or a backup)
– Insert the game Fable III until it is recognized by the dashboard (Image of the game while taking the square)
– Press the sync button to eject the game Fable III
– Insert an original game Xbox 360 (Any), press again and the sync button controllers
– Press A to start the game Fable III starts without worries.
Obviously this is not safe for use on Xbox Live
[1:58am] <+c4eva> just a word of warning on the sed “disc swap”, although this passes the timing check, ap25 also returns data from its check which will be wrong with the wrong disk and will get you banned!
Quick Q&A with c4eva… Continue Reading